How An Online Store Benefits Your Business
An online store has lots of benefits, whether you use it to sell products alongside your conventional business or as a standalone e-commerce venture. Read our list of 10 reasons why an online shop could be great for your business.
1. Reduced overheads – In general, an online store costs less to set up and run than a physical shop, although it’s important to recognize that making e-commerce work requires continuing investment.
2. Lower marketing costs – With better targeting: online promotion can be more precisely aimed at potential customers than using conventional media. It’s also much cheaper, for example, to send a marketing message by e-mail to 1,000 customers than it is to send 1,000 newsletters by post.
3. Expanded geographical reach – A local business can become nationwide or, depending on the product, international, just through having an effective e-commerce strategy. Bear in mind that if you do sell outside the country, you’ll need to comply with regulations and understand tax and import/export issues.
4. Being open for business 24/7 – With automated order and payment processing, sales can be made at any time, and customers can buy when it suits them. Research* shows that the most popular time for online shopping is 12pm to 2pm weekdays, and on Sunday evenings.
5. Greater flexibility – An online store can be updated instantly and as often as you like – for example, to promote a ‘deal of the day’ on your front page, without the need for expensive printed display material.
6. Broader potential customer base – An e-commerce business is an additional buying channel, capable of attracting customers who have not bought before.
7. Improved customer profiling – With the opportunity to target products and services at specific groups based on buying data.
8. Increased visibility for your business – With investment in search engine optimization and online promotion, an online shop becomes more accessible to customers searching for your products.
9. The ability to tell people about your business – This is particularly valuable when an online store operates alongside a conventional high-street outlet, providing information about opening hours, contact details and answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
10. Another marketing channel – Your online store can support your digital marketing efforts by including customer reviews and testimonials.
Yell can build an online store website for your business, with integrated e-commerce functionality to help you get started selling products online quickly and easily. Visit for our Services page now to find out more.